When I was in grad school at NYU, there were two Starbucks across the street from one another at Astor Place. Like many things in New York, one of them is now a condo. But that change does not signal a decline in the mighty Starbucks empire. It seems no matter where you turn, you see that green mermaid in the logo looking back at you.
But what if you really wanted to get away from a Starbucks? Like really far away. How far could you get but still be within Manhattan.
To find out, I calculated the distance from each lot in Manhattan to the nearest Starbucks and mapped it out:
The red star on the map indicated the address that is farthest from a Starbucks. The lucky winner is a residential building at 73 Payson Avenue in Inwood. I wonder if the people who live there know that they are as far from Starbucks as they can possibly be in Manhattan. (I’d bet not.) And that distance? A whopping 1.36 miles.
The blue star is the farthest residential address from Starbucks south of 96th St. That happens at 140 Baruch Place on the Lower East Side. It is 0.93 miles from the nearest Starbucks.
One other things pops out when doing this. Note that the map is split into 5 quantiles, meaning 20% of lots fall in each color bucket. What is astounding is that 20% of lots in Manhattan are within 0.1 miles of a Starbucks or just two city blocks. Those lots are the darkest green lots in the map. And half of all lots are within 0.2 miles, or four blocks.
So if you’re looking to get a bit of distance between you and that mermaid, I’ve got some advice for you: cross a bridge.
Note that blocks here are not literal blocks you can walk, but rather a unit of measurement for comparison purposes. All measurements are as the pigeon flies.
QGIS, IPython, pandas
Editors Note: A commenter on Reddit pointed out that they just opened up a Starbucks two blocks from the “Red Star.” I guess I know how they chose the spot. It looks like it has not made it into Google yet, which is where I got my data. So this analysis is a few months out-of-date. Thanks internet!Tweet Mailing List
- coolthinghere likes this
- caramelcrow reblogged this from v-lagopus
- caramelcrow likes this
- absquatulater reblogged this from songofsunset
- rist-with-a-vahk reblogged this from songofsunset
- teaforwizards reblogged this from songofsunset
- humi-stars likes this
- perspicaciouspsychologist reblogged this from knitmeapony
- saphire-dance likes this
- quasigeostrophy reblogged this from knitmeapony
- quasigeostrophy likes this
- besidemoonlight likes this
- songofsunset reblogged this from knitmeapony
- songofsunset likes this
- doodledinmypants likes this
- velvetsunset likes this
- knitmeapony reblogged this from v-lagopus
- knitmeapony likes this
- v-lagopus reblogged this from iquantny
- v-lagopus likes this
- hueva-york likes this
- lauratheoutlandish reblogged this from iquantny
- hazmat0 likes this
- tvandguns reblogged this from iquantny
- flowerstorm reblogged this from iquantny
- magnetic-terp-input likes this
- butterfly-corn likes this
- snoppme likes this
- pumpkinguts reblogged this from iquantny
- karcia228 likes this
- --morte-- likes this
- airelavxxiv likes this
- kavachai likes this
- hallowecho reblogged this from iquantny
- 4x37 likes this
- jersey135 likes this
- snacktopia likes this
- eyesheavywiththeworld reblogged this from iquantny
- eyesheavywiththeworld likes this
- divine-apathia likes this
- dalenashwritesthings likes this
- caston-mylove reblogged this from iquantny
- laurenyep likes this
- bryan-braffney reblogged this from iquantny
- erikct1 reblogged this from iquantny
- iquantny posted this